Friday, 1 November 2013

Lemon and blackcurrant steamed sponge - recipe

The clocks have gone back and its well and truly autumn with a touch of winter thrown in...ggggrrrrrr...I'm not a fan of the darker nights and mornings, to be honest I find it all quite bleak. If I had my way we wouldn't bother putting the clocks back at all, I've never got the point. My calendar is already set for the clocks going forward in Spring...bring it on.

The only positives to all this dreary winter malarky is the gorgeous autumn colours of the trees and fauna, a cosy home (if you can afford the fuel bills) and heart warming COMFORT FOODS which, lets face it, is the biggest plus...all those soups and stews and makes and bakes...AND...gorgeous homemade puddings! To be honest I can take or leave cold puddings (cake not included of course) but give me a steamed sponge and I'm there...here is my recipe for a lemon and blackcurrant steamed sponge pudding...

Ingredients:
2 small unwaxed lemons - (you will need the zest of two and the juice of one lemon)
3 free range eggs
150g soft margarine
150g caster sugar
150g SR flour
1/3 jar blackcurrant jam
Method:
1. Start by greasing a pudding basin.
2. Cream the margarine and caster sugar with a mixer until pale and fluffy then add the beaten eggs. Once mixed in, sieve in the flour, and fold in carefully with a spoon. As you mix add the lemon zest, and the juice of one of the lemons.
3. Put the blackcurrant jam in the bottom of the pudding basin. My jam was homemade. Carefully spoon over the sponge batter mix and level the top.
4. Cover the pudding basin with pleated greaseproof paper (that you have greased) and then top with pleated foil, tie this round the neck of the basin with string and make a handle to lift the basin with.
5. Put the basin into a saucepan and fill the pan with water to about 2/3rds up the outside of the pudding bowl. Bring to the boil and then turn down to a simmer and steam for about 2 hours.
6. Once the pudding is cooked, run a knife around the inside of the pudding in the basin and invert onto a plate. Serve with whatever you choose, cream, ice cream or custard.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment...if you have tried one of my recipes I'd love feedback, and thank you for taking time to pop by to read my blog.

Susan x