Thursday, 10 January 2013

'Dish of the month' January - Parsley Risotto and Marzipan/Berry cakes - a new challenge

If you follow this blog or 'me' on twitter then you will know that I am quite a stalker fan of the recipes and the cooking style of Nigel Slater. My sister bought me his latest book 'The Kitchen Diaries II' for my birthday last October and as well as finding this to be what I take to bed with me every night a really good read, I have also earnestly followed Nigel's BBC programmes 'Dish of the day' in the run up Christmas. 

Nigel Slaters style is the nearest to anyone I have seen on TV that mirrors my own tastes and ambitions about the way I want to cook and prepare food in my kitchen.

So when Janice another Nigel Slater stalker advocate from 'Farmersgirl Kitchen' suggested we both cook our way through 'The Kitchen Diaries II' through 2013 I was there like a shot...I'd already ear marked a few recipes from this book to try as it was...I didn't take much persuasion. 

And so was born...'Dish of the Month'...Every month Janice and I will write about a recipe we have tried from 'The Kitchen Diaries II'...there is no paid (or otherwise) PR involved in this, no prize, no giveaway, the joy comes from trying out new recipes...and here is how to get involved.

If you would like to take part, then:
  • Make a 'Dish of the Month' from ANY recipe by Nigel Slater
  • Link back to this blog or to 'Farmersgirl Kitchen' 
  • Use the Dish of the Month logo (above) in your post
  • If you use twitter, tweet your post with @Heavenona_Plate OR @serialcrafter and #DishoftheMonth hashtag and we will re-tweet it to our followers. 
Rules:
  • If you own a copy of The Kitchen Diaries II please do not publish the recipes on your blog without permission, they are copyright.
  • If you are using any Nigel Slater recipes from the BBC Food website, please link to the recipe on BBC Food rather than publishing the recipe.  Likewise with any of Nigel's recipes on the Guardian website.
  • Only one entry per blog please.
  • Recipes must be added to the linky by the 28th of each month.
And remember to add your Dish of the Month to the linky below this post:



I tried two dishes this month PARSLEY RISOTTO WITH PARMESAN CRISPS (above). This was simple to make, not too many ingredients involved and I had them all in stock. I loved the fresh flavours this dish produced. I also used this risotto recipe to give a home to a bunch of parsley I had lurking in the fridge. The parmesan crisps were quick to make in a non stick frying pan and gave the dish and extra strong cheesy boost.

Over Christmas I had also made these MARZIPAN/BERRY CAKES...I'd seen the recipe on TV, its also in 'The Kitchen Diaries II' and thought it was a great way to use up leftover marzipan form the Christmas cake. The recipe is on the BBC Food website.

The cake stand and cover on the right was a gift from Santa, its the most lethal weapon a kitchen can have as every time you pass it you grab one of whatever is sheltering underneath. The cakes made with ground almonds, marzipan and fresh blueberries were delicious!

Janice has made a soup of bacon and celeraic this month, check it out here.

I'm really looking forward to the next years 'dish of the month' recipes especially as the book has such a good mix of main meals, side dishes, fish dishes and baking.

8 comments:

  1. The risotto and parmesan crisps look sensational! This is going to be so much fun, I'll change my post to include linking to your blog. Doing a happy dance :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mhmmmm parsley risotto! What a perfect flavour combination.
    And with e Parmesan crisps? Amazing!

    Delicious. Happy new years!
    X

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've been eating risotto a lot since Christmas - using up all that turkey stock! My Italian friends used to make parmesan crisps but I've not made them myself. My son would LOVE them so I must make some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, a good stock is the making of a tasty risotto, it takes time but I love that about it, soothing to make and eat too.

      Delete
  4. Parsley risotto sounds very appealing. Packed full of vitamin C as it is, I may not have got this hideous bug if I'd eaten more of it!

    I shall endeavour to join in with this challenge as and when I can - Nigel Slater rocks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great you are joining in and we will look forward to seeing you efforts (and hope you feel better soon).

      Delete
  5. I love risotto, and I love marzipan so now I'm tempted to try both of these!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment...if you have tried one of my recipes I'd love feedback, and thank you for taking time to pop by to read my blog.

Susan x